PML YA Yakkers!

Patchogue Medford Library Young Adult Department

Friday, June 23, 2006

Chapter 4: Cannibals!

Book Survivor: Adventure Mountain

Chapter 4: Cannibals!

Voted Out: Wizard of Oz and Robinson Crusoe

The girl with the purple hair lunged toward me and grabbed my ear. She pulled me toward a large cauldron.

"Megrina!" shouted the man. "Fetch me some basil." Megrina (who must have been the purple haired vixen) let go of my ear and stumbled toward the woods.'

The weird man put down his banjo and faced me. "I apologize wholeheartedly for my daughter's actions." I nodded. "You see, when I was younger, she was captured by the Mongoblins." I blinked.

"The what?" I asked.

"The Mongoblins are a fearsome race. They capture people and train them to be wild and crazy and weird." He sniffled. "Megrina was just seven when we were at
a cafe when one of them came in. You see, they pose as humans and then capture the their victims and try to form them into their own race. I'm afraid my daughter has become one of them, but slowly, I am mananging to get her back to being human by playing my banjo. It somehow takes away her monsterous side." I paused and considered what he just said.

"What is she like when she is a monster?" The banjo bearing man grabbed my wrist.

"Shhh..." he whispered. "She might hear you."

Suddenly, Megrina bounced out of the woods and began spitting what looked like paper wads. What the? She ran over and began screaming something rapidly. I turned to the banjo playing man.

"What is she saying?" I asked.

"Part of being a Mongoblin means you have the ability to connect with literature on an extremely profound level. Listen closely to what she is saying..."

I strained my hearing and tried to listen. Suddenly, it sounded like she was saying...."RobbBaruso....Rob Baruso....Robbin Buso....Robinson Babuso...Robinson Crusoe...."

That was a classic story!

I turned to Banjo man. He pointed. Megrina began to spit out huge volumes of Robinson Crusoe out of her mouth and it fell onto the beach. "How do we calm her down?" I screamed.

Banjo Man pulled out a bottle and threw it at his daughter. She bent down on the floor and ate the entire bottle. My mouth opened wide with surprise. What kind of freaks were these?

Megrina began to calm down and her skin began to look more human like and less page like. She began to cry. I turned to Banjo Man. "This is awful.." I started.

Banjo nodded. I told him about my expedition and about Max and Lucy. He began to look panicked. "Your friend.." he started. "They might have her.."

I looked startled. Lucy captured by Mongoblins?!

"What do I do?" I asked.

Banjo Man appeared crestfellen. "There is only one thing left to do..." he said. "Follow the yellow brick road.." I nodded.

I looked at the ground and saw a yellow paved path. I waved goodbye to my new friends and decided to venture onwards..to avenge Max...find Lucy..and reach the top of Adventure Mountain!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home