PML YA Yakkers!

Patchogue Medford Library Young Adult Department

Friday, June 30, 2006

Chapter 5: Wreckless Endangerment

Book Survivor Adventure Mountain

Voted Off: Island of the Blue Dolphins.


As I wandered the path that was made of yellow brick, I thought of my adventures thus far. Where was Lucy? Was she taken by those wretched Mongoblins? And more importantly, what was to be found at the peak of Adventure Mountain?

I came to a clearing and discovered a small man with pink hair standing with his hands on his hips. I approached him cautiously.

"Ello there!" the man smiled at me.

"Hi," I said.

"My name is Courderoy Gobbledegook," he said. "I am looking for this mystical island." I laughed. We were well above sea level!

"My good sir," I started. "We are well above sea level! There are no islands to be found! Perhaps if you journeyed back to the base of Adventure Mountain..." The man stomped his feet.

"If you find the cave of Chairiboo, you shall discover the island of my people." I shook my head.

"I never heard of any sort of cave of Chairibooboo or however you say it," I said.

"Well," he said. "If you venture beyond the valley of the green dragon, through the icicles of despair, you shall come to the cave." I glanced down and saw that the yellow bricked road ended at this man's feet. Coincidence? I think not!

"Okay," I said. "I guess I shall accompany you....." I grabbed his bluish hand (blue?) and walked for a couple of paces until we came across a valley that had dragon shaped hedges. The Valley of Dragons?

We walked a little further and came to a cave that contained many icicles, and suddenly, I was filled with..despair? Could these be the icicles of despair?

We approached a cave that had a greenish glow. My new friend, Courderoy clapped excitedly. "This is the cave of Chairiboo!" he shouted. He ran through the cave and I followed him. The cave ended in what appeared to be a river, with a rowboat attached. I jumped in, grabbed an oar and started row. "We must hurry!" he shouted.

After a great many minutes, we finally came ashore. Courderoy stood up tall and jumped into the water. His skin began to change. His face became longer, and kinder. His hands disappeared and fins grew in his place. Suddenly, all that remained was a guppy..no..a...whale?

"Welcome to the Island of the Blue Dolphins," my friend said.

To be continued.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home