PML YA Yakkers!

Patchogue Medford Library Young Adult Department

Friday, July 28, 2006

Chapter 9: Life as a Book

Book Survivor Adventure Log

Voted off: The Fellowship of the Ring, Redwall and Skeleton Key


As my skin began to take a pappery feel to it, I reached into my pocket and pulled out a book of matches. The Wordling glanced at me and began to scream. I struck a match and walked toward him, caused him to scream even louder. Then I threw the match in his direction and he began to catch fire.

The Wordling burned and screamed various lines of famous text. " I am Sam....Sam I am.." he howled. HIs mouth grew larger. "Water, Water everywhere, but not a drop to drink," he shrieked. His legs began to kick. "Call me Ishmael," he chortled. The Wordling continued to yell until he disappered into nothing. I felt myself become more flesh like. This was what I had hoped! Lucy!

I turned around and saw that Lucy was lying on the floor in a pile of shredded paper. She put her hand to her head. "Oh!" she said. "What happened?"
I shook my head. "Where am I? And why do I feel like I just finished a very long, gruesome book.." I sat down and told her of my adventures. Upon hearing what happened to Max, she began to cry.

I patted her on the shoulder. "My dear," I started. "Do not despair...there is a ring..a magical ring that can alter reality. I can use it to restore Max and ourselves to before this retched journey even began..."

"Ring?" Lucy asked. "Where is this ring?" I shrugged and told her what I knew. "The Bubbling Volcano?" she inquired. "I haven't a clue! But...I do know of a strange area that has been sticking out in my mind. I don't remember where i am, yet.I seem to recall a Redwall near the entrance of this town..perhaps that is what you are looking for?"

I nodded and asked her to take me there. We ran downstairs and through the town square. It seemed like the entire town was empty. Had I destroyed all life by destroying the Wordling? However, a small Mongoblin stood crying in front of a bright Redwall. Lucy walked over to him cautiously. "What is wrong?" she asked him.

The Mongoblin sniffled. "The Wordling has been erased" he squealed. "How will I ever get new reading material on my body?" Lucy and I glanced at each other.

Lucy knelt down next to him. "We have things in our world called bookstores or libraries. In bookstores, you can purchase books..and in libraries you can borrow them for free." The Mongoblin's eyes lit up.

"You mean," he sniffled. "I can borrow books and actually hold them in my hand?" We both nodded. He jumped up and cheered. "Can you take me there?"

Lucy glanced at me. "Yes...but can you help us? We're trying to find the Bubbling Volcano!" The Mongoblin glanced at Lucy with fear.

"Why would you want to go there," he asked. Lucy smiled.

"We are trying to locate a ring to alter reality."

"Oh, you mean like Frodo and Sam?" asked the Mongoblin. Lucy nodded.

The Mongoblin grinned. "Cool! A Fellowship of the Ring! I like that! My name is Tootie!" he said. Lucy smiled and shook his hand and I did the same.

I examined the Redwall and saw that there was a strange marking on the wall. "What is this?" I asked.

Tootie smiled. "That is the door to the volcano..but it is sealed by a terrible force........" Lucy frowned.

"How do we open it?" Lucy asked. The Mongoblin froze.

"You need the Skeleton Key," said Tootie. "It is located in the heart of the Spookwood Forest in the Bone King's tomb." He shivered. "I would not recommend it."

Lucy and I glanced at each other. We had no choice. "Will you take us there?" I asked. Tootie frowned. "Please."

Tootie smiled. "Okay, but I warned you, this place is CREEPY!" Lucy, Tootie and myself walked away from the Redwall and toward a foreboding mist. IN the far distance, I saw nothing but blackness. I heard the sound of low moans and howls. Where were we headed? What was this forest like? And would I ever find this ring?

To be continued..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home